Mora ecological extractor, circular economy in the olive grove

The town of Mora , in the province of Toledo , represents one of the places with the longest tradition in the cultivation of olives in the province. Located in this town, the Ecomosa company obtains an oil of the highest quality and also takes 100% advantage of all the potential offered by the by-products derived from its manufacture.

Only about 20% of the olive becomes oil, with derived by-products accounting for the remaining 80%, which on many occasions have been a serious environmental problem due to the contamination of land and riverbeds. Ecomosa manages to reverse the situation since it generates derived products with different uses, from the waste collected from the mills in the area and neighboring provinces.

After the extraction of the oil, the remaining byproduct, which accounts for 80% of the initial olives, is composed of moist fatty pomace, or alperujo . This alperujo is made up of olive pit, skin and remains of oil and alpechín. Two new by-products are obtained from this sustainable process: crude olive pomace oil, and biomass .

Circular economy in the olive grove
Ecomosa, an example of the application of the circular economy in the olive grove

Crude olive pomace oil is suitable for food consumption after a refining process. Regarding the product biomass, it adopts a double format: as crushed olive bone and as pomace. The crushed olive pit is a fuel with low humidity and high caloric value, is used for the company's own service in drying the pomace, as well as for sale for domestic use.

The pomace, presented in "pellet" format, is a solid by-product that is obtained at the end of the extraction process of crude olive pomace oil. This biomass element contains little moisture and great calorific value, which is why it is mainly used as bioenergy for power plants, as well as to obtain the industrial heat required by companies that need heat in their processes and, finally, for export as renewable biomass boiler fuel.

The olive grove
Ecomosa is a great family, standing out for its human team and its vocation for innovation

The Ecomosa company, with a history since the 1970s, maintains the search for quality as a top priority and the values ​​transmitted from generation to generation as the key to its success. It is undoubtedly a clear example of a circular and sustainable economy, based on an ecosystem with great cultural roots in the area such as the cultivation of olive groves. And all this thanks to the well-qualified human team, which day after day carries out its work with efficiency and high motivation.

Today, it stands out for its projects, and above all, for its dynamic, professional and innovative team.

At La Marihuela we believe in both organic production and the circular economy, both concepts framed in the sustainable and respectful exploitation of the rural environment. For this reason, you will find virgin olive oil from organic cultivation and pomace oil in our products (cosmetic and personal hygiene products and home care products).

Back to blog

Leave a comment

Please note, comments need to be approved before they are published.