Today we are increasingly aware of the footprint that human beings have on their environment, and the importance of preserving it, since if actions are not taken soon it may be very difficult in the future to live in clean environments, eating healthy food that is natural and without harmful chemicals, breathe air that does not harm our health, having drinking water that is accessible, both geographically and economically, to the entire population, etc.
Then, there comes a day when we want to be part of the change and take that important first step: not be part of the problem. We try to buy from local producers, have traditional small neighborhood stores, generate less waste and recycle or reuse everything we can.
However, we find ourselves with the great barrier that we ourselves have built: modern life is not made to be sustainable or respectful to the environment. From ultra-processed food for comfort and conservation, disposable products and accessories, the huge amount of containers of polluting material... and what to say about plastic, omnipresent in our lives. We want to be part of the change, but it seems that we are facing a radical change in our lives that doubles our daily work.
But when we distance ourselves, we realize that the biggest problem we face is the change in habits and the scarcity of alternatives. Luckily, we have more and more options and we can change our habits if we do it little by little so that it is conscious and lasting in our lives.
An example of this change is replacing bath gel bottles with traditional soap bars. This simple gesture is very easy because we are already used to solid bars of soap to wash our hands, and because we will see results in a very short time.
Do you want to know what will happen?
- First of all, you will find many solid hygiene alternatives for the shower, which include both natural soaps and the new solid dermo-cleansers based on clays, plants and other cleaning agents of natural origin. You will see that there are pills for all skin types , with different aromas , properties and even design .
- Secondly, you will see that they last longer than gel containers. This is due to two reasons: first, because they are undiluted products, and second, because their format allows for better dosing.
- On the other hand, you will visibly reduce waste in the bathroom. You won't be throwing away plastic bottles every month. In addition, these new generation "zero waste" products come wrapped in paper, which is compostable or biodegradable.
- You will also save on your shopping basket, since you will space out the purchase of the shower tablet over time if you get used to letting it dry in its soap dish after each use.
- In addition, you can throw away that bath sponge that has that suspicious look from its second use. Soap bars and dermo-cleansers can be used directly on the body. And the first ones can also be used inserted in a sisal or cotton bag that serves to generate more lather and to be able to enjoy a softer and fluffier experience. These bags, in addition to being compostable, are long-lasting, and clean naturally with each shower. You just have to rinse them and let them dry hanging from any faucet or shower ledge.
- Finally you can take your travel soap bar without problem at airports. As it is not a liquid, you can even carry it in your bag or carry-on suitcase.
- And if your bar is also made with natural and environmentally friendly products, you will notice that your skin will soon thank you and you will know that you are contributing your grain of sand not only by reducing waste, but also by using products that think about care of the environment that surrounds us.
What do you do you think? Is this a simple and uncomplicated way to get started? Would you recommend it to a newbie in zero waste?